Home » Blog » I Made It!

I Made It!

Weekday observations of tourists taking photographs of the Empire State Building offer evidence that I am not a tourist; I work here.

Audience:   I am the primary audience for this data set and visualization as I’m charmed by the way tourists interact with ‘my’ city.  I’m a relatively recent transplant to NYC, and feel so lucky to have landed a job in midtown Manhattan.  I walk past the Empire State Building twice a day and often see people taking photos of the landmark.  My first few months at the Grad Center I found myself humming the theme from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” …. ‘you’re gonna make it after all” <hat toss>.

Description:  During my morning and evening commutes along 34th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues, I coded my observations of people taking photos of the Empire State Building.  This was the obvious subject of the photos because the camera lenses were pointing up at a steep angle.  I developed a coding system that tracked the following variables:  1) Cell phone vs. SLR Camera, 2) Male vs. Female, 3) number of people in the group, 4) selfie-style, 5) crouching.  I wasn’t exactly sure which elements I would be able to visualize, so I coded all just in case.  I collected data for 2 weeks from October 7 to October 18, 2019.   Ultimately, I visualized three dimensions:  Day of the week, Male/Female and type of camera used. Two other details are included in the tool tips (Selfie-style and Crouching).

Because the whole point was to illustrate that I work in midtown at a regular job, I added rows of data for a Saturday and Sunday to force those column.

I found cell phone and SLR camera .png icons and learned how to create a new ‘shapes’ folder to use in Tableau.

Cell phone icon:

SLR Camera icon:

By hovering over each camera icon in the visualization, the tooltip displays a statement about how to read that particular data point.

There are two tabs in the Tableau visualization, an intro and the data

URL for Visualization (incase Embed doesn’t work): https://public.tableau.com/views/ESB_15715057872290/Story1?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:origin=viz_share_link

Original visualization sketch

My plan all along was to watermark the Empire State Building behind the data, however I wasn’t able to get that to work in Tableau (this has something to do with the way my date column is calculating, and I haven’t figured out a way around it yet).  Of course, in an embroidered textile, I have free reign to create this any way I wanted.  The title “I made it!” is a play on words about making the textile as well as ‘making it’ in the city.   In the art quilt, the Empire State Building representation was modified to allow for 5 columns of data.  The small icons could be further modified to represent 2 additional dimensions:  ‘Selfie-style’ photo and ‘Crouching posture’ photo.  Because this is an art piece, I took the liberty of placing the legend on the back rather than the front.  Referencing the “Dear Data” postcards, that inspired this project.

I Made It textile

Front detail showing quilting

front detail showing my ‘hat toss’

back detail showing legend

Data Life Cycle Notes:  I learned that even though my coding was pretty simple (M/F,  Cell/SLR,  Y/N for crouching and selfie)  I originally entered my data in mixed case (sometimes capital, sometimes lower case letter) which created a different ‘value’ in Tableau. Also there were times when I added a space after the code in Excel.   I repaired and reconnected to the source data multiple times. All of this points to the need for using Excel Data Validation in future projects. I also made extensive use of Aliases to get the tool tip to display in a friendly format.

Also, I discovered uneven results due to a work holiday that affected a collection day, and rain, which affected the number of tourists taking photos (although there were still a few brave folks out there). The observations were substantially affected, so I explained that on the dashboard.    

Next Steps:  I do want to learn how to insert a photo in the background of a graph.  I tested this before suggesting it, and it worked, but there is a hang up with the type of data elements that float above it. I will have to learn more about Tableau to make it work.  I also want to explore illustrating additional dimensions as I did in the embroidery project.  Again, not sure if Tableau can do it.  It may require recoding, and making come combined values – for example, make Cell phone, Cell phone Selfie Style, and Cell phone Crouching 3 different codes in the same dimension.

I know I will continue to visualize data in textile art, so there will be more of that in the future. I hope to grow as an artist so the data doesn’t really look like a chart.